Re: xdm won't run xbanner

Tom Kuiper, 2002-Aug-19 18:05 +0000:
> > Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:20:13 -0700
> > From: Jeff <jcoppock1@attbi.com>
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: Re: xdm won't run xbanner
> >
> > Tom Kuiper, 2002-Aug-18 05:14 +0000:
> > > Greetings all.
> > >
> > > Behind the xdm login window I only have the grey tweedy background of raw X.
> > > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 has the required /usr/X11R6/bin/xbanner.
> > > /usr/X11R6/bin/xbanner exists, as does
> > > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XBanner
> > > but when I try to run xbanner from a root prompt, I am told that it can't
> > > access display "".
> > >
> > > I had all this working under bo.
> >
> > What was the format of the command string you used to try to run
> > xbanner from the commmand line?  I had a bit of trouble figuring out
> > the proper format for the display.  I used "-display :0" to get it to
> > work for me.
> > --
> > Jeff Coppock          Systems Engineer
>
> Thanks, Jeff.  I tried that without luck.  With the xdm login screen on
> VT7, I logged in as root on VT1 and did what you suggested.  I got
> Xlib: client is not authorized to connect to server
>
> I logged in as myself on VT2 and tried to do "xhost localhost".  I got
> xhost: unable to open display ""
> I did "export DISPLAY=":0.0" and then "xhost localhost".  That was OK
> but trying to start xbanner still gave the same error.

Hmm...running "xbanner -display :0" works fine here.  My DISPLAY
environment variable is set as yours is too.  But, I'm also starting
it from an xterm in my windows manager.  All it does is change the
backdrop to the xbanner settings.  Then I have

/usr/bin/X11/freetemp -display :0
/usr/bin/X11/xbanner -display :0

at the end of /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup, and

/usr/bin/X11/freetemp -display :0