make-kpkg buildpackage fails to build kernel-imagexx.deb

The subject pretty well sums up the problem. I am running Woody on this
box and downloaded the tarball kernel-2.4.19 (stable) from kernel.org. I
untarred it to /usr/src/linux and ran make mrproper. Then make-kpkg
clean just for good measure. I did make xconfig and did the usual saves.
I need to compile the kernel to suit my AMD XP processor and my sound
chip, so I can not use a stock kernel image. I then did make-kpkg
buildpackage which produced all of the .debs except the kernel-image. It
seemed to build the vmlinuz kernel but did not package it. I have done
this many times with excellent results and did in fact build the patched
2.4.19-rc1 kernel image that I am running now. I have never had this
issue. Any suggestions??? I did get an error2 message but that indicated
a lack of gpg/pgp signature and has never affected the usage of the
kernel before.
--
John Foster