Re: Equation editors [Was: Re: CUPS]

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 01:23:34AM -0400, David P James wrote:
> I have, several months ago and just now. I spent an hour trying to
> figure it out, reading the tutorial, etc. And frankly, I can't stand it.
> It's enormously frustrating, even for equations. For instance, my usual
> test of equation editors is how it displays the 'unbiased estimator of

I must admit, LyX does look pretty butt-ugly on screen, but that's sort
of how it supposed to be; it's What You See Is What You Mean, rather
than the more common WYSIWYG.  What you see on the screen is just a
representation of what you've enetered; when you run LaTeX and produce
your PDF or PS files, it's produces beautiful output.

That said, there's a lot of work going into into improving the LaTeX
preview capabilities; perhaps give LyX 1.3 a try whenever it's released.

As an alternative, there's TeXmacs <http://www.texmacs.org/>, a
completely WYSIWYG TeX editor.  I haven't really used it, but it
certainly looked good while I was playing with it:)

-rob