Re: Hosed /var permissions

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 12:37:30AM -0500, Adam Majer wrote:
> > The remove wont kill your configs and the install should fix the perms.
>
> Well, he hosed his _entire_ directory. And some packages you need installed
> like apt-get or dpkg which use /var. I'm not sure if that would work.

The data is still there... It's just that the files are chowned to the
wrong user.

> This is especially try since most packages check if directory exists before
> they create it and not what permissions it has (most of the time).

If this is the case then nuke the dir, install the package and restart
the data files from backup (taking care to chown it to the user
indicated... usually the dir owner).

It'll be a good learning experience. Reinstalling is kinda a copout in
that regard as you learn sweet fa. :)

--
   "There was a moo from under the blanket, and I knew it was not a person,
   but a calf."