Re: gzip format problem

irvine@vuosaari.hai.fi <irvine@vuosaari.hai.fi> [2002-08-19 05:46:16 +0300]:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 07:02:58PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> > "Cannot open this file: it does not appear to be a valid archive. If you
> Note I haven't read this thread from the start !

Me neither!  :-)

> I seem to remember reading once that some broswers (actually netscape)
> sometimes uncompress files before saving them to disk, but doesn't change
> the name of the file to indicate that have done this.

If that is the case then 'file' can help you out.  Run 'file' on the
downloaded image and see if it can detect what it is.  The file
program can detect both tar and gz files and should directly tell you
the file type in either of those two cases.  And most other cases too.

  file xyz.tar.gz

Bob