Re: gzip format problem

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 07:02:58PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:

> > Downloaded gnome2.0-users-guide.tar.gz from the Gnome webpage.  gzip
> > says it is not in gzip format.  apt-get -f install gzip says I have
> >
> "Cannot open this file: it does not appear to be a valid archive. If you
> downloaded this file, try downloading it again." - WinZip error message
> (A rare example of a _helpful_ Windows error message.)
> The advice applies here too; since it works sometimes, and it may not be
> the OS's fault.

Note I haven't read this thread from the start !

I seem to remember reading once that some broswers (actually netscape)
sometimes uncompress files before saving them to disk, but doesn't change
the name of the file to indicate that have done this.

Maybe this is your problem. If it is you can just use tar to extract the
files from the archive. Worth a try and not harmful if I am wrong.

t.irvine