Re: Newbie Question: Linux & ATA100 Drives

----- Original Message -----
From: Rob Weir <rweir@softhome.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie Question: Linux & ATA100 Drives

> A couple of things:
>
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 03:14:53AM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
>> really slow things down - one line autoexec.bat, no config.sys, DOS
boots
>> more or less instantly! You can pass it all the lilo-type boot
parameters
>> with a response file, and you don't get the problem of not being able
>> boot because lilo is misconfigured, or the 1024 cylinder problem.
>
> The 1024 problem hasn't existed for a couple of years now.  How often
> does LILO get messed up enough that you can't boot?
>
> -rob
Ah. Didn't know that (1024): thanks! As for how often lilo gets messed
up enough that you can't boot: personally, no idea, I've never used it!
Publicly, most references I see to it are from someone who can't boot or
some similar problem. (The people it works fine for keep quiet...)
LOADLIN works fine for me and also suits my predilection for hacking my
partition tables and MBRs with sector editors. (Reasons OT but ancient
Future Domain SCSI card was involved)

Pigeon