Problem starting KDE after fresh testing 3.0 install

I just installed Debian 3.0 on an ECS A900, and have added
kernel 2.4.18 and brought it up to level on testing.

I then installed XFree86, which seemed to go fine.  Then I
installed kde and kdm.

Kdm starts just fine, and displays both the logon dialog
and the blue background, and accepts a logon (I specified
KDE the first time, and it takes a default since then).

KDE then starts up, goes through initialising services
and then gets to initilising peripherals.  Then it just
stops, and clears me back to KDM.

.xsession-errors says:-

DCOPServer up and running
kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed