Unidentified subject!

Hello,

I have installed woody in a pentium-pro machine with a S3 Virge video card and
Gnome 1.4. I have installed Xfre86 4.1 and the xserver-xfree86 package too,
which does recognize the video card. However, when I use the mouse just to
surf the desktop or tho scroll a window, in the desktop appear some very short
horizontal lines, white or black, depending on the background color of the
application where they appears on. They appear everytime the desktop is
redrawn, during mouse activity or in a command window with a blink cursor.
How can I solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Marcelo
--