Dselect 'Purge' does not remove directories from /etc

Hi,

I've been wondering about this for a while now,
and maybe it's something obvious, but I would greatfull if
somewhan could explain it to me.

>From time to time I look at different packages to find out
which I like. (E.g. which is the best ICQ client.)
Now, when it comes to removing those I didn't like,
even though I select to 'purge' config files in dselect
in many cases it will leave at least the directories behind
saying 'directory is not empty, not removed'
After a while the /etc directory starts to get cluttered up...

Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks for your help in advance!
best regards,
Balazs