No Screens Found error

Greetings, new to the list, and new to Debian/Linux:

I am installing 3.0 (Woody) on Intel 845 P4 1.6G; 768MbRAM; ATI Expert 2000;
2 20G WD Hard Drives Mouse, Keyboard and Monitor on KVM

I went through what looked to me like an orderly install but after login I
tried to get to the graphical desktop using: startx and got the following
error: (this is the second install with the same problem, second time to
what I thought was a simple configuration):

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error
no screens found

X10: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after
0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Can someone tell me what is wrong here and what I can do to correct it? I am
very unfamiliar with using text mode and really need to get to the desktop
before I can settle in to learning mode.

Thanks in advance,
MO