ttyS04 - How do I get rid of it?

Upgraded from potato to woody and from kernel-source-2.2.19 to kernel-source-2.4.18.

Built the new kernel and booted up successfully.  Couldn't go on line.

dmesg reported ttyS04 using port 0xe800 and irq 11. My modem is on com4 (ttyS2) and requires these settings. Setserial wont allow this as it finds port 0xe800 already assigned. However, there is no ttyS04 in /dev or anywhere else (at least locate can't find it) so I have been unable to remove it and free up port 0xe800.

I would appreciate any help with this problem. Fortunately I have to computers so I can post this message.

PS My upgrade has been rough (sloppy?) but that is another subject. Still I don't rule that out as the source of the problem.