Re: Install CD boot problem

On Saturday 17 August 2002 12:01, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
>
> * David Goodenough [Sat, Aug 17 2002, 11:14:17AM]:
> > I have (so far) tried the netinst boot and bootbf24 mini isos.
> > The boot iso hangs after finding that this device has no floppy
> > drive, the bf24 iso hangs after the Compac CISS message.  I also
> > had to hand an old 2.2r3 CD set, and that hung at the same place
> > (after finding no floppy) as the boot iso.
>
> Did you try the idepci flavor? Accessible on the CD#1 or one of the
> other CDs labeled with "idepci kernel" or similar.

I am glad to say that this fixed it.  I am now getting on with the
install.

> > This box is full of SIS chips, and I know that I will have to
> > get the latest SIS drivers when I get to that stage (I have other
> > laptops around which use the same SIS630 chip).
>
> SIS630 sucks.

Well yes, but as long as you understand that this chip has its
limitations, or rather than by not documenting it properly SIS have
limited it, and either gets the very latest SIS630 drivers both
for the kernel and for XFree or uses the VESA driver it does work
and in the case of this particular laptop gives extreemly good
price performance (the box cost me 500 GBP).

> Gruss/Regards,
> Eduard.

David