re: driver configuration (printer)

> From: Peter Christensen <pchris@snip.net>

> My question now concerns device drivers.  I have an HP laserjet 6L
> ...  appear to be supported under Linux,  according to
> linuxprinting.org .  During  installation there was a procedure,
> "configure device driver support," that I  skipped through because
> I didn't understand what to do.   It said that  afterward I could
> run "modconf" instead.  I couldn't see anything in modconf  that
> seemed to relate to sound.

From memory, the modules you need are all about the parallel port - "parport"? "pc parallel support"? I am not on Linux at the moment. Let me know if you need the details.

Your printer should work straight away if sent ASCII. However, most apps output postscript. To cope with this you need Ghostscript and a filter eg Apsfilter or Magicfilter. Ghostscript (gs) should already be installed - try "apt-get install gs" to be sure. There is a HOWTO fo installing APsfilter for Potato 2.2 at http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/ but there seems to be a problem with gs and Apsfilter in Woody 3.0. However, I have installed Magicfilter ("apt-get install magicfilter") and configured it successfully (see "man magicfilter"). Now, postscript is detected automatically and prints perfectly on an inkjet!

The other alternative is CUPS, but I haven't tried that.

Good luck,

- Chris