Re: Moving file systems around to new partitions

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 11:55:48PM -0400, Steve Dondley wrote:
> My hard disk is set up so my root directory and all subdirectories are on
> the same primary partition.  Another problem is that the primary partition
> is set up at the beginning part of the disk while my swap partition is
> located across town at the other end of the disk.
>
> Obviously, I didn't know what I was doing when I installed my Debian
> installation.  Now that I have a slight clue, I want to fix the problem.
>
> My question is: am I stuck with what I've got?  I'd like to rearrange things
> to put the swap file at the beginning of the disk followed by another
> primary partition containing the file system subdirectories appropriately
> isolated from each other in their own logical partitions.  How can I do this
> without deleting files?

I don't believe that it is possible.  You could make a backup of all
your systems, reinstall, and restore your data.  Beyond that, you could
boot a mini-Linux system, repartition, and restore your backups.
Edward Guldemond

Key fingerprint:  29FF 2969 A04E F934 3F03
                  4329 BC56 3AA7 2F57 6735