Re: List postings as attachments

* Richard Cobbe (cobbe@airmail.net) [020816 16:25]:

> My previous employer did something like this; I imagine this was their
> rationale, although I never asked.  I've worked with other companies
> where the above was the official line, though.
>
> Disclaimer: I never said these were *good* reasons; they're just the
> reasons people usually cite for blocking outgoing connections.  I find
> it pretty ridiculous, myself.  First, if somebody has a web site on a
> non-standard port, you can't get to them.  Second, Craig's suggestion
> below works very nicely.

I recall when they started blocking port 110 and I was no longer able to
check my personal e-mail... I've got a good relationship with the local
IT people so I mentioned it to them. They were aware that 110 was now
blocked too... I said something like "Hey, could ask corporate IT if
they could allow port 110 ??". They looked at me and said "So you can
check personal mail - at work ?? Ain't gonna happen...".

Is this any different than allowing outbound IM ports, whatever they may
be, or 6667-6669 for IRC, file-sharing, etc, etc ?? For business
purposes, no.

Hall