Re: Debian vs Gentoo

> Can anyoe tell me why  there might be a preference for Gentoo
> over Linux From Scratch?

I think it depends on what you ultimately are after - I'm going through the LFS
process now and it is a really good -learning- experience. LFS, however, does
not include a sophisticated package management system - Gentoo has Portage which
apparently has many similarities to the ports system employed in FreeBSD.

This is not to say that LFS is "for learning only" ... it's just a different
approach. My ultimate goal is to become a more informed user, become more
comfortable with what's going on under the hood. I love my Debian, but sometimes
I want to know what is happening in back of the magical apt-get ...

I've wanted to try Gentoo for some time, but in my case it would be mostly "for
fun."

Sorry, I'm rambling. The humidity here in NYC is Venusian.

Glenn