Re: Debian vs Gentoo

David Teague said:

> Can anyoe tell me why  there might be a preference for Gentoo
> over Linux From Scratch?

if used to their full potential I can't see how.

but the defaults on gentoo could have more aggressive optimizations
then linuxfromscratch. I would be curious with some stats
on exactly how much faster things can be. For me anything
less then 20-25% I wouldn't notice. If things can be 50-75% faster
then I would be real interested in looking into it more, but
from the discussions I've read over the years its unlikely in
most cases to get more then say 10-15% performance boost in
optimal conditions.

for most of my work I cannot tell the difference between a P3-733
512MB Matrox G400 and a Athlon 1300 with 768MB with Nvidia Geforce2.

nate