CUPS not working & exim.conf blues ...

Hi there O Wise Ones,

I have tried to install CUPS via <http://localhost;631> and following the prompts,
logging in again as root ... until it gives me the message that the new
Epson (Stylus Photo 700) has been connected but when I try to print the
CUPS test page nothing happens.

I apt-installed the latest version cupsys (1.1.15-3) in case there was a bug and tried again; 'lpq' showed nothing in the queue and having a look at /etc/printcap showed it configured for a dot-matrix printer rather than the Stylus Photo ink-jet.
I installed xpp  ... but no luck ... it is not writing to /etc/printcap.

I have the option of apt-installing the old RH favourite 'printtool' and hoping that could do something with the script but I have previously been successful with CUPS and would like to get it right.

I'd really like to get on top of this as soon as possible as I am packing everyting at the moment before a move in two weeks time. I'd send my /etc/printcap if exim was working ...

I have been getting the message "lookup of host "Primus" failed in smarthost router" and going into /etc/exim.conf and trying

'route_list = "* Primus bydns_a"

and

'route_list = "* 203.134.64.66 byname"

without luck. 'Mozilla-mail' has been sending and receiving without a hitch.

Any ideas ?

Adam Bogacki
afb3@primus.com.au (ISP soon to be discontinued)
adam@bogacki.net     (forwarding)