Re: ipmasq seems to be killing aim

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 12:22:04PM -0400, Edward Guldemond wrote:
| On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 08:57:08AM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| > I have a network with 1 debian woody system (kernel 2.4, iptables)
| > acting as the router/firewall/masquerader for the LAN.  I have another
| > debian system with jabber and aim-transport (which uses the "oscar"
| > protocol, not "toc").  My brother has a winme system with aim.exe.
| > Lately we've both noticed that the aim connection is dropped
| > periodically.  I didn't have any such problems in the previous 5
| > months while my system with jabber was connected directly to the
| > internet (public IP).  For now I'm running everybuddy (which uses
| > "toc") to monitor my online status so I'll know when I've been
| > disconnected.  Also, we both leave our account logged in (and idle)
| > for extended periods of time.  Does anyone have any experience with
| > this or any ideas on correcting it?  (hmm, I wonder if that router is
| > powerful enough to run aim-t.  I'll try it out later.)
|
| What kernel version are you running on the router?  I am using kernel
| 2.4.18 on my router with essentially the same network configuration, and
| it works fine.

root@deb2 # uname -a
Linux deb2 2.4.17-custom.2.486 #1 Thu Feb 21 23:29:20 EST 2002 i486 unknown

Oh, I should upgrade that.  Maybe there's a bug in that version ...
(hopefully!).

If you want to see my firewall rules I can provide them.

-D

--
The Consultant's Curse:
    When the customer has beaten upon you long enough, give him

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/