6 Channel Audio

Hi,

I just purchased a Cmedia 8738 based 6 channel audio card. Alsa has
support for this card. I am able to get the sound, in 4 of the six
channels (front and rear). In the Center +Subwoofer channel, I am only
getting a faint signal which when fed to an amplifier does not produce
good sound. The center channel also is very faint and too much of
crackling noise is heard. Has anybody else set up this card for good
reproduction of centre+subwoofer? What are the settings/options for the
snd-cmipci module that needs to be done?

My /etc/modules.conf has the following lines:

  alias char-major-116 snd
  options snd snd_major=116

  alias snd-card-0 snd-cmipci
  options snd-cmipci snd_index=0 snd_id="C-Media-8738-6Ch"
  alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
  options snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access(pcm, hw, SND_PCM_ACCESS_RW_INTERLEAVED)
  options snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format(pcm, hw, SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16_LE)
  options snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(pcm, hw, 6)

  alias char-major-14 soundcore
  alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
  alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
  alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
  alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
  alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

The options are from the alsa-doc for cmipci cards. The only change that
I have done is change 4 to 6 on the last option (as the doc mentions a 4
channel card).

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

QOTD:
	I've heard about civil Engineers, but I've never met one.