Re: Thoughts on helping people unsubscribe correctly

----- Original Message -----
From: Marc Shapiro <m_shapiro@bigfoot.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 11:23 PM
Subject: Re: Thoughts on helping people unsubscribe correctly

<snip>
> Obviously, those on the digest need to send their unsubscribe post to
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org.  I see another discrepancy,
> however.  The instructions which are being quoted for unsubscribing say
> to respond with a subject of unsubscribe.  They say nothing about the
> body of the request.  The message that I received on subscribing (back
> on 10/15/99 -- I DO keep these messages) says that the subject should be
> left blank and the word 'unsubscribe' should be in the body of the
> request.  Which is correct?  Does the word 'unsubscribe' go in the
> subject, the body, or both?
>
> Marc

As I understand it, either "unsubscribe" goes in the subject field and the
body can be anything or nothing, or the subject is blank and "unsubscribe"
goes in the body. Both are supposed to work. I used the first method cos it
seems more logical.

Would I be right in thinking that a lot of people unsubscribe from the
_main_ list quite rapidly because their mailbox gets flooded? :-)

Pigeon