mixing woody, sarge, kde, openoffice and netscape

Hi all,

I have a box that was a happy woody box before my wife decided she
wanted to use it.  So I pinned it at woody, added sarge to my
sources.list, installed kde, openoffice.org and netscape (netscape is
from a netscape tarball, not a deb).

Now, when I login as my wife and start an xterm, I can run netscape no
worries.  But when I create an application shortcut thingy on the
desktop and double click it, nothing happens (yes, I have set the
executable correctly, I can copy-paste it into an xterm and it
works).

Openoffice doesn't work at all.  No matter if I run it as me or her,
on the command line it just says 'starting openoffice.org setup...'
and does nothing more, using kde or icewm... why?

Some apps do work from a kde shortcut (codebreaker is the only one
I've tried).

Help!

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
	- Albert Einstein

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au