Mozilla java plugin

I have just completed a re-install to larger partitions and now cannot
get my Mozilla java plugin to work.

Using Sun j2re-1.4, I have installed a link to
~plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
in $HOME/.mozilla/plugins
just as I did previously, but Mozilla plugins does not show the java
plugin in the list and java does not work. There are no error messages.

I have also tried creating the link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins where
the acroreader plugin lives, but again with no result.

Will somebody please tell me what it is that I haven't done?

Thanks

John Batistic

Debian Woody. kernel 2.4.18