RE: 497 days uptime = 0 days uptime ?(uptime rolloveR)

> > And _pray_ that your hard disk spins up again :)
> >

> got a good point there. last january, i powered down
> a sun ultra 10 which had a seagate IDE 10GB disk as
> it's root drive, it was up for maybe 90 days, powered
> it off for about 10 minutes to move it to a new UPS.
> the drive never powered up again.

I was told about this a long time ago but didn't believe it.
Sure enough, at work we moved from one building to another and
one of our Sparc's hard drives wouldn't spin back up when it
was powered back on. A Sun technician did explain a "trick" to
try as a last resort:

-- Have one person hold the pizza box about an inch or two off
the table.

Actually, if you give the whole box a twist or spinning motion of even
90 degrees or so, as you turn it on, it will be enough for the drive to take
off on.
Used to be especailly good on old drives, when the motors developed a dead
spot.