Re: FetchMail

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 04:44:01PM +0200, Tinus Kotzé wrote:
> home:~fetchmailrc
> # Configuration created Wed Aug 14 16:12:17 2002 by fetchmailconf
> set postmaster "jmak"
> set bouncemail
> set no spambounce
> set properties ""
> set daemon 30
> poll imap.sun.ac.za with proto IMAP
>        user '13596128' there with password '   ' is '13596128' here

It looks OK to me. Check the size of the file /var/mail/13596128.  If
it is > 0 then you have got mail

or just type "mail" at the command prompt to see whether you have got
mail.

> I just saw a thread mentioning exim is needed?
> How does fetchmail then work? Does it check mail and pass it to
> another program to manage data?

You can use it in that way.  That is the only way I have used it so
far.

Read the question about exim and fetchmail in
/usr/share/doc/fetchmail/fetchmail-FAQ.html

I use procmail to sort my mail and my ~/.fetchmailrc looks like this:

poll "stbevs01.stb.sun.ac.za"
protocol imap
username "jspies"
password ""
mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %s"

Maybe some other with superior knowledge can supply better
information.

Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace,
      that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in
      time of need."           Hebrews 4:16