Re: network unreachable after kernel build

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, George Khoury wrote:

> I installed woody with the 2.2.20-idepci kernel last week, and yesterday
> I built 2.4.18 from source using kernel-package. Now the network is
> unreachable, even in ping. Honestly I have no idea what is going on.

[...]

> I got the same output with the old kernel, except eth0 had an IP
> address. One major difference in the kernels is that I built in the
> network card driver -- does this cause problems?  Any help is greatly
> appreciated.

A few of us on this list have recently had the same problem.  The solution
is to make sure your kernel config says yes to CONFIG_PACKET and
CONFIG_FILTER.  See, for example,

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200206/msg05057.html

hth

Patrick