From: "Patrick Wiseman" <pwiseman@mindspring.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 9:23 PM
Subject: Re: can't startx (sorry)

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, John Griffiths wrote:
>
> > good morning
>
> Not here :)
>
> > any help would be appreciated.
>
> Have you tried
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

I just did a Debian install and I boot to the non gui login.  when I type in
the above, it tells me that xfree86 in not fully installed.  In Taskel I
selected all the desktop items, and a few programs in dselect, but it seems
nothing was installed.  This was after doing a reinstall and repartioning
the hd.  How do I get xfree86 installed properly?  at no point was I asked
what my default desktop should be.  I want it to be gnome.

Thanks much!

John