Re: Xfree86 and Knoppix

--- Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 11:09:49AM -0400, Patrick
> Wiseman wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't get you back to an ordinary
> virtual console?
> >
> > I must be doing something wrong when I launch X,
> but whenever I do
> > Ctrl-Alt-F1, it takes me to the console I logged
> in from, OK, but no
> > prompt, just the most recent message from the X
> server.
>
> Depends how you started X. As I remember, 'startx'
> returns you to a
> prompt, but it's a while since I used it.
>
> > But if you've installed xdm (as I suspect Brian
> means he's done) then
> > every console presents the xdm login screen,
> because (at least as it
> > installed on my box) S??xdm was in _every_ rc?.d
> directory.
>
> Runlevels are unrelated to virtual consoles. I'm not
> sure what you mean
> here.
>
> --
> Colin Watson
> [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

  That is the only way that I run my system is with
the 'startx'.  I do not use a xdm type of login. IF
after you have issued the comand 'startx' and want to
go to a console then you have to use something other
than Ctrl-Alt-F1, You need to use Ctrl-Alt-F2 through
F6, unless you come out of your window manager (Poorly
worded) then you default to the F1 console.
HTH
Don