Re: Help with dselect

 Nicos Gollan Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 4:58 PM

> On Tuesday 13 August 2002 06:18, Dr. Sachin Kale wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I managed to break the gnome package while trying to install other
> > packages. Now when I try to run gnome-session only X comes up &
> > nothing loads. In GnomeIceWM not a single gnome app runs. In short
> > want to reinstall gnome - from cdrom.
> > Can you pls tell me what should be there in apt source.list to
just
> > do apt-get install gnome ( from cdrom )
> >
> > I have tried " file:/cdrom/dists/potato/main " but it doesn'w
work.

> Have a look at apt-cdrom and its manpage.

I did apt-cdrom add & added the cds. Now also when I try dseletctr
update or apt update, it gives error -

Err file: potato/main Packages
  File not found
Ign file: potato/main Release
Err file: potato/main Packages
  File not found
Ign file: potato/main Release
Failed to fetch file:/cdrom/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/Packages
  File not found
Failed to fetch
file:/cdrom/dists/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/Packages
  File not found
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'file: potato/main Packages'
(/var/state/apt/lists/_cdrom_dists_dists_potato_main_binary-i386_Packa
ges) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these missing files
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

And on apt-get -f install I get the following  -

Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Correcting dependencies... Done
  freetype2 librep5 librpm1 rep task-x-window-system-core
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  alien freeamp g++ gnome-bin gnome-control-center gnome-core
gnome-help
  gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-session gnome-terminal
icewm-gnome
  libc6-dev libgnome32 libgnomesupport0 libgnomeui32 libgnorba27
libgtk1.2
  libgtkmm libgtkxmhtml1 libncurses5-dev libstdc++2.10-dev
sawmill-gnome
  task-gnome-apps task-gnome-desktop vim-tcl xmms
  freetype2 librep5 librpm1 rep task-x-window-system-core
0 packages upgraded, 5 newly installed, 27 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
16 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/560kB of archives. After unpacking 32.8MB will be
freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Can somebody pls explain to me what is happening ? I really want to
fix the broken gnome package

Sachin