Re: Apache / libdb2 error

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 12:28:53AM +0900, marshal@h9.dion.ne.jp wrote:
>     > I'd appreciate it if people having this problem could try
>     > installing libdb1-compat from
>     > <http://people.debian.org/~cjwatson/db1-compat/>. So far it
>     > seems to be working well for me, although there are still a few
>     > details of its interaction with libc6 to be worked out.
>
> Will this be hitting the mirrors soon?

I haven't uploaded it yet, but I intend to soon. So yes, I hope so.

> Do you for see any problems for this on PowerPC?

No, but tests welcome. :)

> Is there a reason that there are 3 versions of libdb in unstable?
> Will there be a move for everyone to upgrade their code to work with
> newer versions?

It keeps changing upstream in slightly incompatible ways, and everybody
has to run to keep up. Not much can be done about this, unfortunately;
it's only a problem because so much stuff, right down to things like the
name service switch, uses Berkeley DB.

Debian packages are being encouraged to move to newer versions. Even
then, though, third-party applications still need to be supported, and
many of them use libdb.

> Variety is nice, as another thread goes, but 3 versions of the same
> thing is a bit redundant, especially when they start conflicting with
> each other...

The runtime libraries themselves don't conflict, just the development
packages.

Cheers,