Re: Starting network interface at boot

This one time, at band camp, Steve Dondley said:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to have Debian fire up my wireless PCI card driver and
> network interface at boot time.  But after hours of searching, I
> haven't found anything that spells it out for a newbie like me.
>
> I need to put the following lines in some rc file to get my network
> up:
>
> /etc/init.d/wlan0 start ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.3 route add default
> gw 192.168.1.1
>
> I thought the etc/network/interfaces file was supposed to take care of
> this for me (by me placing the keyword "auto" in front of the
> interface's name) but it doesn't.
>
> So what is the best way of accomplishing this?
>
> Thanks.

What I think you're saying is that the network doesn't come up at boot,
but you can manually get it going later, right?  If it comes up OK
later, it is just a question of getting your config files set up
correctly.  OK, What error messages are you seeing at boot time?  Also
send a copy of etc/network/interfaces.

Steve
--
Marriage is like twirling a baton, turning handsprings, or eating with
chopsticks.  It looks easy until you try it.