Re: CUPS: http://localhost:631/admin does not exist!

I really doubt that you have one running and not no it.

Just for the heck of it, please try

lynx http://localhost:631/

from a prompt in xterm or just from a console prompt.  If that fails too
then a proxy server may (I guess) be the problem.

Meanwhile, you can set up a printer from the command line; as root (cups
insists on this apparently) do

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p DeskJet -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m deskjet.ppd

This assumes you're trying to setup a DeskJet printer (895Cse, right, same
as mine?), and that it's attached to your parallel port at /dev/lp0.  Or,
if it's a usb device, which I believe you may have mentioned before, you'd
use 'usb:/dev/usb/lp0'.  (I'm pretty sure lpadmin is part of the client
package.)

If that's succesful then subsequent calls to 'lp' should simply print to
that printer.  (The docs say that calls to 'lpr' should do the same, but
that wasn't the case with me on a laptop connected to the network - but I
think that may be because I had previously substituted rlpr for lpr, which
cups of course renders unnecessary.)

And the documentation is in /usr/share/cups/doc-root, so you can at least
browse it there even if you can't run the web admin.

hth

Patrick