Re: failed upgrade, urgent help needed

>Sounds like a bug, but not one in apt-utils - I think you're barking up
>the wrong tree there. Neither the kernel nor lilo actually went anywhere
>near debconf anyway last I looked.

but debconf goes near the kernel and lilo

>It's still really hard to help you without the *exact* error messages
>you're seeing when you boot the broken system. Even if they seem like
>gibberish, they may jog someone's memory.

I've fixed my own system - the data was all on seperate partitions so the
certainty of a re-install appealed on a Sunday afternoon.

but for someone upgrading from potato with the use of:

#apt-get install kernel image 2.4.17.XXXXX

will get ugly if apt-utils isn't installed, hence my feeling about it being
a dependency.