Video capture hardware / software

Does anyone have any suggestions for _working_ video capture hardware /
software under woody? My task is basically to take some tapes that I have
made and convert them to .mpg files. I need both video capture hardware which
works well under woody, and software to work with the files and the hardware.

I've seen consumer-oriented products like Pinnacle DV and Dazzle at the local
Best Buy, but I'm not sure how well these are supported by linux and the
linux USB layer (for Dazzle) at present.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

nl