Re: Recommendations: CUPS, LPRNG or plain old lpd?

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Shyamal Prasad wrote:

> The Deskjet is now going to go on my Woody machine's parallel port,
> since this machine is the only one running 24x7 and the Mac has no
> parallel port. I would like to be able to print to this thing from the
> Woody machine, the Mac and the Wintel systems over the network, until
> the laser printer comes in. I can make this work with lpd etc. but it
> seemed like a good time to improve some skills.

Coincidentally, I just installed CUPS (the 'cupsys' package) yesterday and
recommend it highly.  It comes with HP (and EPSON) drivers, which makes
life easy if you have an HP printer.  And setup, at least on the printer
server, is extremely easy using the web interface which you'll find at

http://localhost:631/admin

once the cupsd daemon is running; log in as your root user and select "Add
Printer".  You'll also need to install the cups-clients package.

Setting up support for printing from MACs and Wintel machines is described
in the Software Administrators Manual, which is linked from the page at

http://localhost:631/documentation.html

Managing printers and jobs from the web interface is very easy.

hth

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman