Re: failed upgrade, urgent help needed

On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 06:36, John Griffiths wrote:
> hi, i've just tried to upgrade from a potato box running the 2.4.7 kernel
> from the adrian bunk source
>
> I think we fouled up upgrading apt-utils and didn't realise until we were
> upgrading the kernel to 2.4.18
>
> on boot lilo starts up but then we get a string of messages about kernel
> modules and then it dies (kernel panic).
>
> i'm making a boot floppy now
>
> but any advice as to how to fix the problem would be massively appreciated

boot in single user mode (at lilo prompt, enter "<linux> single",
substituting the correct image name for <linux>).  If the failure still
happens, boot to a shell "<linux> init=/bin/sh".  You can then start to
repair things.  Your problem may be that you need to run "depmod -a" to
build an up-to-date list of modules and dependencies.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "But my God shall supply all your need according to his
      riches in glory by Christ Jesus."    Philippians 4:19