Re: Solved with CUPS (was Re: apsfilter problem)

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, I wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, I wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to set up my HP895Cse.
>
> I decided to try CUPS and it seems to be working.  The installation told
> me I need multicasting in the kernel, so I'll do that.
>
> Now to see if it works with rlpr from other machines in my small
> LAN; although it occurs to me, since it's 'net-based, that maybe I just
> need to install the clients on this machine?

Well, duh, that's the whole point of CUPS :)  But it took longer than
necessary to be able to print from my laptop to my server, because the
_Debian_ CUPS defaults aren't the standard CUPS defaults - in particular,
the Debian setup presumes that you're printing _only_ from 127.0.0.1 and
_disables_ printing from another IP address.  But a bit of RTFMing got me
there eventually.

The initial setup on the server machine was pretty much seamless with
CUPS; it printed nicely immediately after setup.  It was only the network
stuff which gave me difficulty.

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman