kernel 2.4.18 and networking; solution pointer which worked for me

Woody, cable isp, dhcp.

I had several problems with network after I compiled and installed kernel
image 2.4.18.
After searching and looking, finally got to the dhcp people, who had several
comments about issues with this particular kernel version (config_packet and
config_filter, etc).
Solution:
Compiled again a kernel image, and selected YES in ALL network things. If
you know what you are doing you probably don't need to select yes to all,
but I was tired of selecting yes only to those I thought I needed and then
failing. No modulus, only yes embedded.
Now it works from booting, no problems.