Some locale variables not set systemwide -- dkpg reprts errors.

I recently updated my system from Potato to Woody.

Now, I'm getting the following message when I run several programs/scripts:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = "",
        LANG = "english"

I don't know if this helps, but the output of the locale command at the console is:

LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=

... and from an xterm is:

LANG=english
LC_CTYPE=
LC_NUMERIC="english"
LC_TIME="english"
LC_COLLATE="english"
LC_MONETARY="english"
LC_MESSAGES="english"
LC_PAPER="english"
LC_NAME="english"
LC_ADDRESS="english"
LC_TELEPHONE="english"
LC_MEASUREMENT="english"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="english"
LC_ALL=

I've run dpkg-reconfigure locale several times, choosing both ISO and UTF settings for the US, but I can't get the missing variables defined automatically.

I would rather not have to edit login scripts on a per-user basis to manually define the missing variables.

Why am I getting this error? Did I configure something wrong? Is there a system-wide location where this should be fixed?

I've dug into as much postings, readmes, HOWTOs and man pages as I can find. Most assume that locale is already configured or don't give a procedure to do/verify this. I'm at a loss and quite frustrated at this point. I must be missing something -- and if Murphy will have it his way again, it's likely to be something fairly obvious.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup