Re: Choosing which device gets mounted as root [RESIGNATION!]

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 01:12:40PM -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> I think that's what he's doing, i.e. moving a hard drive from one machine
> to another.  But your question suggests a solution: why not have two boot
> floppies, one for home and one for bro's machine?

Right, that's exactly what I'm doing -- switching the hosts for my
hard drive. But where have I mentioned a boot floppy? Forgive me if
I have, I don't remember it; however, I'm *not* using boot floppies.
And yes, the solution I had in mind was to specify a different file
as the fstab. GRUB, as far as I know, can't move files around on a
hard drive.
Sorry if I'm not clear enough, I'll try to explain it once more.

As nate said, the bootloader mounts the filesystem read only. The
same filesystem gets remounted a little later according to the fstab
entries. So I can easily have two entries for GRUB, piece of cake.
But I cannot have two fstab files, right? So the idea was to copy
the right one each time before t---

WAIT: how could a file be copied before the filesystem gets mounted
with write permissions?! It's silly, I think I've just realized how
impossible it is!!!
Still, with other configurations, such as for X, I simply copy the
right file to the default one, e.g. X-my.bro to XF86Config-4. And I
wanted to do the same with fstab. Isn't it just silly?!

I guess there's no solution, then? :((

andrej

--
echo ${girl_name} > /etc/dumpdates