Framebuffer bashing

Just returned to Debian after a little hiatus and installed Woody. It's good
to be back, but I'm having vesa framebuffer problems, in that attempting to
configure it seems to get me nowhere. If I follow the Framebuffer-HOWTO that
comes with Woody, I can set LILO to vga=ask and enter a value, and it can be
seen to work briefly, but is discarded as soon as Tux appears and a VGA
80x25 mode kicks in. I really want to get back to a framebuffer-free vga=10
mode - can I do this without a kernel recompile? I get the feeling this is a
dumb question, but I'm in something of a relearning phase, and previously
I've either chosen a VESA-free default login or compiled a kernel without
it. This time round t wasn't there, or (more likely) I missed it.

Failing a removal of the framebuffer, how can I change the default
resolution? /var/log/messages shows a "Console: VGA+ 80x25" entry early on
in bootup - where can I set this?

I'm using a GeForce 2MX, if that helps. Any assistance much appreciated.

Nick