X Display from remote host and ssl/ssh

Hi:

  I am using Debian unstable (or is it testing, now that woody has
  become the stable deistribution?) and Linus 2.4.8. I used to connect
  to remote machines (first xhost + remotehost) by telnet
  then on the remote host type DISPLAY=myhost:); export DISPLAY
  and then xterm & and the xterm would appear on my display.

  One of the remote hosts now uses ssh, so I have to use ssh. I can
  connect to it without any problem, but when I type xterm & and
  connection fails. The ssh man pages says I shouldn't define DISPLAY.
  But whether I do or don't the result is the same.

  For the other machine I use telnet-ssl, and there too, after defining
  DISPLAY, I fail to connect.

  Any comments?

  Thanks.

--