Re: ntpdate

bet ntpd is running. it is the time server deamon that ntpdate talks to. They use the same port.

Generally,
	run ntpd on one box on a segment / building
	it syncs w/ the outside world
	all clients inside ntpdate [host of your ntpd]

bytor1@telia.com wrote:
Hello I am having a problem with ntpdate and wonder if someone could give me a clue. I have used apt-get to install ntpdate and I have found three ntp servers which I would like use. My problem is how do I get it up and running. I do not have a permanent internet connection so that is why I was thinking of using ntpdate with cron to update the time when I am on line. I used this /usr/sbin/ntpdate ntp.lth.se clock.netcetera.dk clock2.netcetera.dk
and got this response
 9 Aug 15:55:53 ntpdate[31009]: the NTP socket is in use, exiting
I am not sure if this is right but it does not seem like it to me. Thanks for any help, Clyde