8139too driver just didn't work

I just wanted to find out if I missed something ...

I tried installing woody on an old HP Kayak .. with the RelTek (or
something like that) 8139 NIC ... did the install .. got to drivers, it
didn't automaticly find it. I tried to manually add the driver, spit out
some error messages .. device busy ... no such device ...

ok ... maybe, there just is a problem I think .. I installed RH 7.2, and
it finds the NIC fine, 8139too.  I try the bootstrap install .. it all
goes well, I reboot to the Debian install .. all seems fine, except no
network. I build a couple kernels .. 8139too as a module, in the kernel
.. nothing works. The best I get is with a module, running modprobe will
put a line in dmesg ... it seems to be ok ... next step, get eth0 set up
.. I check /etc/network/interfaces .. it is set for inet dhcp .. running
pump, ifconfig eth0 up .. all give various errors, no device found,
operation failed (pump) ..

Did I miss something ... I found a couple notes about a fix for the
driver, replace a couple hex values with PCI_ANY_SOMETHING .. try that,
rebuild .. no change ..

I have kinda given up on Debian for this box .. I installed blackbox
already .. I miss apt-get .. but maybe I should have at least one RH box

Michael