e1000 ethernet driver module for woody

I have recently obtained a new box (Dell Optiplex GX260) at work. A
major issue is the ethernet adaptor. I have found the source package at
the intel site, however, it won;t build for me - first complaining that
the kernel source wasn't installed (a symlink fixed that), then
complaining that version.h  didn't exists (another symlink). Finally the
make definitively stated that the kernel source version 2.4.18 did not
match the running version 2.2.20-idepci. Funny since the 2.4.18 source
has not been installed.
The Intel supportmail site is broken, so... does anyone have an e1000.o
compiled under a 2.2.20* kernel, or a source package that builds under
woody.

thanks
Dan Kortschak