Re: should . be followed by doublespace?

Lo, on Thursday, August 8, David Jardine did write:

> On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 11:09:01AM -0700, Wendell Cochran wrote:
>
> > confusion caused by the single space.  Consider `. . . meanwhile, back
> > in D. C. Power to the people . . .'  (That's 2 sentences.  See also
>
> And shouldn't that be "...in D.C..  Power to the people..."? ;)

No; that's something I've never seen disagreement on.  If a sentence
ends with an abbreviation, I've always been taught that the
abbreviation's period serves as the period which ends the sentence as
well.  Unfortunately, as sentences like the following

    Wasn't he living in D.C.?

show, it's not necessarily the most consistent rule, but that's what
I've always learned.

Richard