Problem with ghostscript in Woody 3.0 r0

I have just installed Woody 3.0 r0. Ghostscript sends raw PostScript to
my Canon BJC-4200 inkjet printer,
instead of an image of the source.

This is what I have done:

I have a test file containing one word of text, produced on Abiword and
printed to file as gstest.ps. I sent it to the printer via ghostscript
using the following command from a terminal window:

gs -sDEVICE=bjc600 -sOutputFile=|lpr /home/chris/gstest.ps

My Potato 2.2 r4 system has gs version 5.10 and prints the one word of text correctly.

My Woody 3.0 r0 system (on a different disc on the same PC) has gs
version 6.53-3 and incorrectly prints masses of PostScript code.

Thinking that there might be a bug, I downloaded the source code from
sourceforge and built gs version 7.05. This also incorrectly prints
masses of PostScript code.

I also tried uninstalling and re-installing gs version 6.53-3 from the
Woody 3.0 r0 Official i386 Binary CD, but this has not fixed the problem.

Is there a problem with the way Woody installs gs? It was installed as
part of Gnome when I used "tasksel" to install "desktop".

My other thought is that there might be a problem with the later
versions of th gs bjc600 driver. The documentation confirms that it is
still the recommended driver for the BJC-4200

Any suggestions?

Chris Lale.