Choosing which device gets mounted as root

Hello. I have a script that's called from /etc/rc2.d and changes
some files according to the kernel that's loaded, i.e. when I'm at my
brother's (with my disk in his computer), the script does commonplace
tricks like "cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.mybrother
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4".
Lately he's changed the order of his disks so mine gets represented
by another name. Now when exactly does the root partition get
mounted? Is it possible to simply add another line to that file like
"cp /etc/fstab.mybro /etc/fstab" and correct /dev/hdx to /dev/hdy?

andrej

--
echo ${girl_name} > /etc/dumpdates