Very slow DNS lookup after Woody

I just upgraded to Woody and have been having problems with DNS
lookup.  Resolving names is excruciatingly slow, even for local
host:

%  telnet localhost 80      [very long pause...]
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

It's making web browsing very slow.  I have not done anything to the
system except apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade and installing
the new galeon package.

Note, I'm not running a DNS server.  The problem is with name
resolution from other servers (and even entries in /etc/hosts).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!